Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Give Them All You've Got!

I started volunteering in both of my kids' classes this week. In both of the classes, I got to sit with kids and have them read to me, making notes on fluency, comprehension, etc. The difference in abilities among the students is staggering! You can definitely tell which kids are read to and which aren't! One of the kids (who was struggling) told me point blank, "I don't like to read, I like to play video games!". Here lies the problem. Our society has lost focus on the fundamentally important things in life. Yes, our kids need to be kids. But we can't lose focus on teaching them the basic skills they need to succeed in life. Turn off the TV for 30 minutes and sit down with your child and a book. We owe it to them to give them all we've got!

No comments:

Post a Comment